Thursday, November 29, 2007

Things that STILL surprise me...

Believe it or not, we have already been here 4 months. Time flies when your having fun. And although I have gotten used to many things here, I still have days that surprise me. I'll share some examples (and these all took place just this week). First of all, I went to an Indiana University alumni meeting the other night and I decided to brave the subway by myself. Things started off just fine- I bought my ticket, got a seat, and settled in for the 20 minute ride. About two stops later, the train started to get pretty full- it was rush hour so this is to be expected. At the third stop the doors opened and several people literally sprinted onto the train and started elbowing each other out of the way as they rushed for the last remaining seat. The victorious passenger claimed his seat with a smirk while I stared in disbelief. I had just witnessed the adult version of musical chairs- I felt like I was watching a group of second graders. By the time we got to my stop and I stood up to try to push my way to the door, I could barely breathe because were so many people crushed against me. I now understand how people can get trampled in a crowd because had I fallen down, there was no way I would have been able to stand up again.
Ok, enough about the subway. Shock number two came this week when I went in for an appointment with my TCM (traditional chinese medicine) doctor for my back -I have a new doc now who is much better but that's another story. My appointment was at 1:30 and I arrived about 1:15pm. I knew I had to pay before the appointment but when I attempted to hand over my money at the registration desk, the nurse told me I was not allowed to pay because it was too early. I patiently tried to explain that yes, I knew my appointment was at 1:30 but I would like to pay now and wait until 1:30 to see the doctor. "No, it is too early- you must wait until 1:30 to pay". Four months ago I would have pitched a fit but now I know better. I threw my hands up in the air and sat down to wait. At exactly 1:30 the nurse came over to me and told me that I could now pay. Great. And of course as I stood at the cashier's desk to pay, at least 3 people tried to cut in front of me. Argh! I'll never get used to that cultural difference here.
And speaking of cultural differences I still cannot get over the spitting thing. I've mentioned it before in a previous post but it never ceases to amaze me. I was at the grocery store today and while I was checking out another customer walked past me and spat on the floor. In the grocery store. I proceeded to give him my patented "death look" to which he simply responded to by smiling back at me and nodding his head. He had no idea why I had given him the evil eye. That's when I had my "A-Ha" moment- China may be modernizing at the speed of light but some things will never change- like spitting. Oh well! If you can't beat 'em...well, you know the rest.

No comments: