Thursday, November 8, 2007

My top 10 list

Today I was feeling a little homesick so I decided to make my top 10 list of the things I miss about living in the USA. Of course my family and friends are the thing I miss the most but this list focuses on the things that may surprise you.
#10- Shopping. I was never a huge shopper but now that it is such a pain in the neck to do any kind of shopping (grocery included) I find that I really miss it! My number one complaint is that nothing here is made to fit western sizes so doing any type of clothes shopping for anyone over a size 4 is virtually impossible. Sev just keeps reminding me of all the money I'm saving by not being able to buy new clothes...
#9- Voicemail. I have no idea why but there is no voicemail here for cell phones and most home/office phones. This leads to people calling and letting the phone ring incessantly in the hopes that someone will pick up.
#8- Hollywood. Both movies and gossip. Ok, so it was a guilty pleasure to follow along with the Brittany Spears saga but to say that I am now out of the loop is an understatement.
#7- Noise restrictions. There is a bar across the street from us where they like to set off fireworks (the kind so big they'd be illegal in every state in the US) pretty often and usually after 9pm. I'd love to call someone and complain but let's face it- I can't since I don't speak Chinese and I've lived here long enough to know if won't do any good anyway.
#6- Non-smoking restaurants. Self explanatory.
#5- Road rules. As in there are none here. This morning traffic was backed up as usual and several cars took it upon themselves to cross the double yellow line into oncoming traffic and make themselves a new lane which of course only served to back up traffic in the opposite direction as well. Have I mentioned how much I hate the traffic here???
#4- Toilet paper in public bathrooms. Sure, you'll come across a bathroom that has run out in the the US but here, it's a pleasant surprise if you can find T.P. in the bathroom. Not only that but the plumbing sucks so most places provide a garbage pail in every stall for your used T.P. so that it doesn't clog the toilet. You can imagine the smell in the summer heat- yum.
#3- Good pizza. There is Pizza Hut and Papa John's here but they have "China-fied" it. That is, tailored the taste to suit the masses here and it is not so good (i.e. tuna fish is a popular topping here). We've yet to find a really good pizza although it has now become a personal quest of mine.
#2- TIVO! And along with it, all the great shows that I am missing like Heroes, The Office, Ugly Betty, and Grey's Anatomy. Not to mention Sunday football- GO PACK GO!!! Figures that the Packers are having one of their best seasons ever and we can't watch a single game. ARGH.
#1- Fresh Air. What I wouldn't give for a good long whiff of Minnesota air. Yeah the pollution here is not as bad as I thought it would be (sometimes, we can actually see the moon and stars) but it sure isn't good.

Well, there's my list in a nutshell. And just for fun, I thought I would try a new feature of adding a video. Please email me and let me know if it works. It has nothing to do with my top 10 list but I know everyone will get a kick out it.
Found this for sale at a recent trip to the market. Yes, it's meant to be eaten...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.