Sunday, September 16, 2007

The dreaded "Body Check"

Today was one of our "Why did we move here again?" days. Getting a 1 year work visa for Sev and accompanying family has been no easy process. Part of the visa application involves a required "body check" for both Sev and me. And oh what fun it was. Our appointment (and I use that term loosely) was 10am; however, upon arrival we found out that the appointment time was the time at which we would be granted a number in order to wait for the exam- not the time at which the exam would commence. We were number 90 and they were serving number 50. Oh, and we weren't allowed to eat or drink anything prior to the exam so I was already crabby going into it. Finally, our numbers were called. Sequence of events is listed below:
Room #1: Height/weight. "Take off all clothes to your waist. No bra." Nurse hands us a robe and shows us to the changing room. By the way, I've lost 6 lbs since I've been here so at least something good has come out of living here.
*Note that in between each room, you have to sit in the hallway with a bunch of other foreigners in their robes- everyone looking anxious and wondering what's next.
Room #2: Blood draw. Four other patients in the room at the same time while you are being stabbed in the arm. Awkward.
Room #3: Ultrasound of the chest. "Lay down. Open robe". Freezing cold gel. I'm not happy.
Room #4: Xray of the chest. I am sure they are using 10 times the amount of radiation necessary.
Room #5: ECG. "Lay down. Open robe". Nurse hooks up a bunch of wires to my arms, legs, and chest. Coincidentally, my stress level is up at this point and I am sure it showed up on my test results.
Room #6: Eye check. Self explanatory.
Room #7: Blood pressure; stethoscope; "Lay down. Open robe"; general health questions- at least the nurse speaks english.
Room #8: Thank you for coming. You now have to pay $100 USD per person to get your results. I think the bill at the end was the most violating part of the exam!
Ultimately, a very well organized process even though you go through feeling like a heard of cattle. At least we don't have to do it again until next year!

No comments: