Sunday, July 5, 2009

A new fruit

Being in Asia gives you the opportunity to explore all different kinds of fruits and vegetables that we do not have access to in the USA. I haven't really come across anything that was totally unknown until my Chinese neighbors across the hall offered us a basket of yang mei. I don't even know the english translation for this fruit as I had never seen it before. It's best described as a cross between a raspberry and a mulberry- kind of. Each one is a little smaller than a golf ball. And let me tell you, it's darn good! It's only in season for about one month in June. The only problem is that it is VERY juicy and messy so after finding out the hard way by ruining one of Audrey's dresses with the juice, I decided it's best to strip the kids down to their underwear before eating!
This fruit definitely goes on my list for things that I will miss about China once we leave.

Yang mei
Grace after eating her fill. She thought the coolest part was that the juice looks like blood which provided quite a bit of entertainment around the house (while I chased after her shrieking "Don't get the juice on anything!"

No comments: