Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's still a Shanghai surprise...

After 2.5 years of Shanghai living, it takes A LOT to shock me. So I had to share my latest shock story with all my faithful readers. The other day, we were driving down the street and I saw an older gentleman, dressed in normal clothes (so definitely not a worker), peering down into a manhole. I then noticed he had an over sized ladle in his hand which he was using to scoop poop out of the open sewer. Oh, and by the way, this was all taking place in front of the food stands lining the street. Now, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he was doing this- maybe he needed the poo for cooking fuel or something. Regardless, I did a double take and it's been a long time since I've seen anything that made my eyes pop out of my head.



Along the same lines, nothing shocks me with food anymore either. I've seen it all and for the most part, I've been able to avoid eating it; however, I was recently in a situation where it would have been very rude for me not to eat what was in front of me. And so now I can say that I have eaten shredded pigs ear (tastes like bacon), eel (tastes like white fish), and chicken feet (can't say what it tastes like as I quickly and discreetly spit it in a napkin while my hosts wasn't looking).
So after living in China for so long, I can still find it shocking...sometimes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A couple of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any advice to help fix this problem?

Feel free to surf to my blog; ebuybelize.com

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.
I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your wonderful post. Also, I've shared your website in my social networks!



my site mouse click the following website page