Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hong Kong side trip

I recently met up with a friend in Vietnam but because I am cheap, I chose a connecting flight with an 8 hour layover in Hong Kong. For half the price, I figured that I could find something fun to do in Hong Kong for a day! And since the three other times I had been to HK had all been to visit Disneyland, I thought I owed it to myself to explore the city this time. I took the high speed train into the heart of the city where I hopped onto the Star ferry. For a cost of about 30 cents, I got a beautiful view of the harbor on one of the historic ferries. After a few hours of shopping, I met up with some friends who live in HK and they took me to a famous dim sum restaurant. Now, don't get me wrong, I like Chinese food but in general, I wouldn't say that I loved it- until I ate real dim sum! Dim sum basically means little snacks and this place we went to serves it the old fashioned way. People push a cart throughout the restaurant and you can choose what you like as it comes by. Yes, they had some yucky stuff on offer: shark fin soup (which I morally oppose), chicken feet, and the like but on the whole it was delicious, awesome food. My favorites are the BBQ pork buns (fluffy white bun with sweet bbq pork in the middle), sesame seed stuffed buns, and shrimp dumplings. It's been a week and I can't stop thinking about this place- can't wait to go back next time I am in HK!


The dim sum place- it was massively huge and PACKED (this shot was taken at 2pm).



The cart- full of delicious stuff




BBQ buns, sesame buns, and a veggie dumpling (oops, already ate a few before snapping the pic)
View of Hong Kong from the Star Ferry.

Ok, I may be sick but I found this ad extremely funny. Sorry about the glare but if you can read it, it says "live demonstrations in store". A picture of a granny holding a vibrator and touting live demos? Ewww....






No comments: