Tuesday, August 7, 2007

What's for dinner...

Thought I would post today about the wonderful array of food available here in Shanghai. Some of my choice favorites include:

1. Duck heads- see pic

2. Duck innards- see pic

3. Duck feet- see pic of Sev eating one

4. Fish heads

5. Floss - a sweet pastry with a "pork floss" coating. Not sure what that is exactly and I am not brave enough to find out.

6. Jelly fish (served raw) - I actually tried this and it kind of crunchy like a raw vegetable


I went to the Chinese market with my housekeeper (Ayi) which was similar to the farmers market in Minneapolis. All was going fine until we wandered down the live poultry aisle where I freaked out and ran away screaming "bird flu, bird flu!!" I also had to clarify to our Ayi NOT to buy any unrefrigerated chicken and beef from the market and only buy our meat at the western grocery stores. Speaking of grocery stores, we found one today that sells a ton of stuff from the US- at 3 times the price. But at least we know it's there if we want it. By the way, I cannot see the blog once I post it so I can't read any comments- please email me directly if you want to chat.

No comments: